PR Communications Specialist
ACH PR Communications SpecialistPosition Function:
The PR Communications Specialist is responsible for presenting and maintaining a positive brand perception of ACH among the public at large, employees, and at times, the media. The specialist will take on the responsibilities of storyteller, assisting the marketing team in creating descriptive narratives on our programs and services. Executes well-planned campaigns designed to generate interest in ACH and/or to protect the agency’s reputation as a leading nonprofit service provider. The specialist will create a robust content calendar for social media and supplement it with spontaneous posts as needed. Manages internal communications for the agency, including the intranet (The Loop). Takes videos, photos and creates graphic designs to support marketing efforts and to help further a strong presence on social media. Creates blogs and repurposes content for other media, writing compelling stories on clients, staff, volunteers and donors.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university and 1-year relevant experience in managing social media and/or internal communications for an organization.
Strong writing skills and thorough knowledge and implementation of social media best practices is required. Experience in storytelling and brand building is preferred. Experience with internal communications is required and a knowledge of HR communications is preferred. Must be able to think proactively and consider the big picture in order to develop campaigns and stories that have lasting impact while at the same time be able to respond to urgent issues with well-thought out tactics. Conceive, plan and execute marketing projects based on outstanding writing, presentation and communication skills. Proven excellent interpersonal communication, teamwork and organizational skills.
The PR Communications Specialist serves as the “storyteller” for the agency and respective programs in order to position ACH as the “authority” and “thought leader” in the prevention of child abuse and neglect via all media. Presents self in a professional manner while remaining calm under pressure; trusted to represent ACH well in written communications as well as in person. Must work well with others throughout the agency to obtain and post timely, relevant information that keeps our staff up to date and in the know about employment news as well as general news. Work with HR to strengthen employee morale and overall workplace culture. Must maintain brand standards when creating graphics and overall marketing designs. Attention to detail and strong proofing skills are a must. Must have comprehensive knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software, including Word, Excel, and other MS Office products. Experience with Canva, social media scheduling software such as Hootsuite, and media monitoring services such as Meltwater or Cision a plus.
Occasional work on weekends and some evening as necessary.
Exposure to Confidential Information:
The PR Communications Specialist must maintain confidentiality and follow policies related to personnel records and client records.
• Represent ACH Child and Family Services in all media channels, social media, and in the public arena.
• Seek positive stories and conduct interviews to prepare brief, compelling stories and testimonials across all of our programs as well as stakeholders such as donors and volunteers
• Maintain a log of completed stories and update team members when new stories are added
• Assist in implementing public relations plans in collaboration with the Director of Marketing and outside PR agency
• Increase public awareness and build consensus across various stakeholder groups via social media, the news media, and advocacy relations
• Ensure social media platforms are refreshed, relevant and appropriate to the ACH mission and vision
• Create content for social media, including both text and digital images
• Create and maintain content calendars for social media and internal communications
• Create graphics for marketing projects and donor and employee communications
• Draft, proof and distribute news releases and follow through with key media contacts
• Maintain database of media and other key contacts and build and maintain relationships with key media contacts
• Be the liaison with HR to develop and distribute employee communications
• Assist the Marketing Director in executing the crisis communications plan as needed
• Participate in the setting of annual and quarterly goals that drive short-term tactical plans. Primary liaison for implementing and executing these plans.
• Track and report progress toward goals and other success metrics
• Demonstrate strong commitment to meeting the needs of our stakeholders (children, community members, team members, donors, executive leadership and volunteers), in a friendly, outgoing and professional manner
• Respond to internal and external stakeholders in a timely and thorough manner; do what is necessary to ensure satisfaction and prioritize stakeholder needs
• Complete additional projects, duties and responsibilities as assigned