Application Services Manager
The Application Services Manager leads technical staff in the effective management of enterprise application products and services across the entire ITIL service lifecycle. Microsoft 365 and Azure cloud are the primary technology platforms used to deliver these solutions with some hybrid configurations (MS Exchange and SharePoint).
The position requires identifying and directing strategic and tactical goals, staff development, relationship building with key internal stakeholders from various departments, contract management, cost management, and annual budgeting and forecasting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position.
- Management of enterprise application deliverables, including application strategy, roadmaps, application changes, vetting of requirements for new applications, and new application implementations
- Lead Enterprise Content Management (ECM) activities including enterprise search, metadata management, document lifecycle management, e-discovery, and the classification and protection of sensitive content
- Manage and lead organizational change management for all new or changed applications
- Ensure all enterprise applications comply with security, audit, and transparency standards set by the organization
- Define and document architectural standards for enterprise applications
- Harvest and analyze application telemetry to ensure application health and support data driven decision making
- Support operational improvements through design and delivery of workflow and Business Process Automation
- Staff Management:
- Develop staffing plans to ensure application services are adequately covered to meet business demands and service level expectations
- Oversee the activities of Application Services staff to ensure that strategic objectives are being met and issues are being resolved in a timely fashion
- Create staff development plans that drive individual and team growth, address areas for improvement, and provide adequate mentoring and training opportunities
- Customer Relationship Management:
- Manage and set internal customer expectations.
- Communicate effectively with internal customers to identify needs and evaluate alternative business solutions
- Continually seek opportunities to increase internal customer satisfaction and deepen relationships and trust
- Cost management:
- Perform license and application portfolio rationalization to consolidate and simplify system complexity to drive down IS operating costs and support sustainable agility
- Develop and evaluate RFP’s to vet new vendor solutions as requested by the business or IS
- Identify training budget needs
- Performance review alignment
- Job description review
- Maintain familiarity with strategic District levels of service
- Continuous improvement monitoring and innovation efforts
- Perform other duties as required
- Ten plus (10+) years of progressive IT experience, with at least three (3+) years of senior-level Azure or M365 administration in an enterprise environment
- Two (2+) years’ experience successfully leading technical teams
- Extensive, real-world experience designing and implementing enterprise solutions based on Microsoft cloud technologies
- SharePoint content management experience including records and retention rules, metadata management, and content enrichment services
- Experience utilizing Elastic, Application Insights, or equivalent telemetry platforms
- Prior success implementing methodologies such as Agile with Scrum, Kanban, ITIL, or ITAM
- Compliance center administration including advanced e-discovery, retention/sensitivity labeling and DLP rule management
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, or related field. Bachelor’s degree requirement can be substituted with additional years of experience and/or industry certifications
- Valid Texas driver’s license
- The selected applicant must pass a Texas DPS/FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) criminal history background check
One or more of the following certifications are desired:
- ITIL Foundation v3+
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Messaging Administrator Associate
- Microsoft Certified: Information Protection Administrator Associate
- Microsoft 365 Certified: Teamwork Administrator Associate
- Microsoft Certified: Power Platform Functional Consultant Associate
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
- Ability to analyze and operate at various levels of abstraction
- Self-motivated and constant learner
- Excellent problem-solving ability and strategic thinking skills
- Planning – ability to think ahead and plan over five years
- Strong team player
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Must not be afraid of heights. Must be able to drive necessary distances when required. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically resides within an office or cubicle and may have occasional field work that will expose the employee to weather conditions prevalent at the time.