Senior Sous Chef
Job Description :
A Senior Sous Chef will assist in overseeing the staffing of all culinary team members in their respective areas of direct accountability; Concessions/Commissary, Club/Restaurants & Catering or Suite and Loge Boxes, along with menu development & event-based planning for all Food & Beverage outlets. Each Senior Sous Chef will work closely with all Culinary, Purchasing and front of house leadership counterparts to ensure quality selections are executed and served impeccably on an event by event basis with consideration to the anticipated guest demographic. This position is also responsible for ensuring that exceptional hospitality is received throughout the operation by our external, as well as, our internal guests, that all alcoholic beverages are served safely, and that food quality and sanitation standards are always maintained. They will be responsible for the establishment and achievement of financial targets including, but not limited to labor and food cost. This position reports to the Executive Chef.
Essential Duties (Include, but are not limited to the following):
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Partner with Dickies Arena & Food and Beverage department leadership to ensure a successful arena opening and establishment of the F&B operation
- Assist with the establishment and enforcement of Dickies Arena policies
- Work closely with other team members and other departments to ensure department specific procedures, tasks and goals are met, consistent and effective communication occurs, efficient operational performance and a positive reputation of venue within the market/ industry is maintained
- Support the concept development and overall operating plan establishment for all food and beverage areas with specific focus on culinary elements
- Assist in driving menu and recipe development throughout the venue
- Responsible for ensuring exceptional and consistent food quality in presentation and production
- Follow and enforce policies associated with the safe service of all alcoholic beverages
- Assist in the hiring, training, staffing and scheduling of culinary team members
- Ensure all culinary team members have the tools necessary to complete their jobs
- Ensure consistent execution of all menus and recipes, training and accountability of the culinary team in execution
- Engage with venue guests, as well as, team members to ensure exceptional hospitality is always received
- Build and maintain strong relationships with venue staff, sponsors, clients, guests, subcontractors, etc.
- Responsible for enforcing, executing and maintaining all safety, security and sanitation standards throughout the venue
- Regularly obtain feedback from clients and guests to improve operations
- Respond and assist in any departmental guest service issues deriving from and/or relating to culinary elements
- Conduct routine staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems, policy changes, daily & event activity and any other department specific items.
- Oversee and support the mentorship and development of culinary supervisors and team members on a daily basis
- Ensure that daily walkthroughs are being conducted throughout the venue with consideration to sanitation, safety, inventory levels, etc.
- Thoroughly and accurately use all selected systems (Purchasing, Point-of-sale, Work Force Management and more)
- Assist with ensuring achievement of all financial goals within each given department are met, i.e. Concessions, Suites, Catering & Clubs
- Conduct and oversee the ordering and inventory management aspects of the Culinary department in each of their given areas of responsibilities
- Other responsibilities and tasks as deemed appropriate by the Food and Beverage and Dickies Arena Leadership Team
- Degree or similar certification/ experience in Culinary Arts strongly preferred
- 5+ years of culinary leadership experience with 2+ years in a Sous Chef capacity preferred
- Previous experience in high volume, complex food service operations; sports and/ or entertainment venue strongly preferred
- Comprehensive knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation
- Previous experience leading large teams; inclusive of managers, supervisors and part-time team members (50+ strongly preferred)
- Previous experience with opening a food & beverage establishment and building a culinary team, large sports and/or entertainment venue strongly preferred
- Demonstrate ability to complete projects in a reliable, productive and expedient manner while adhering to strict deadlines
- Keyboarding skills and computer proficiency with software knowledge including MS Office
- Experience with computerized work force management software strongly preferred
- Experience with inventory and order management software strongly preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to problem solve and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, high-energy environment
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Self-motivated with strong client and vendor relations and staff management skills; previous experience with vendor and product selection
- Able to communicate effectively with management team, guests and team members
- Superior internal and external customer service experience
- Must be able to work extended shifts of 10 hours or more as business dictates
- Must be flexible with schedule and able to work different shifts
- Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to work in fluctuating temperatures
- English reading, writing, comprehension, math and computer skills required
- Ability to taste and evaluate food and beverage products
- Must be able to reach, lift, stoop, bend and perform extensive standing and walking (including stairs) throughout shift
- Ability to use hands in using office equipment, including the computer system
- Ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly
- Ability to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discriminations in sound. Ability to talk and hear to conduct phone and radio correspondence
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned; visual inspection involving small errors and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly parts at distances close to the eyes
INTELLECTUAL/SOCIAL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: The intellectual/social, physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to multi-task under time limits and with moderate to high pressure situations. Position requires constant attention to details and accuracy of specified standards including: following simple to complex (more than 3 steps) instructions, and concentration which frequently extends beyond 30 minutes at a time. This position also requires frequent use of interpersonal skills with internal and external clients. Employee will frequently communicate via radio and in-person with others and exchange accurate information. This position requires employee to frequently work both independently or as part of a team. Position also requires being able to recognize and resolve conflicts, by being able to openly communicate with clients.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee will frequently operate a POS system, computer and other office devices such as calculators, telephones, copy machines, faxes and printers. Employee will constantly move about inside and outside various areas of the facility before/during/after events to interact with internal/external clients and supervise the work of employees during events. Employee must constantly communicate via telephone, radio, email and in-person with others and exchange accurate information. Employee may occasionally be required due to business demands and event operations to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. As business, maintenance, operations or emergency situations require, employee may sporadically assist in lift/move 100 lbs. or more.
- The duties of this position are performed primarily indoors but do require frequent movement in and out of controlled temperature units such as refrigerators and/or freezers. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, with the exception of event days, where the sound levels may be higher than moderate. Employee will be occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions, year-round. Employee will be exposed to and working in extreme temperatures when utilizing various pieces of equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.